I learned that Taylorism is a concept that tryly categorizes workers. From the film I could see where workers had no identity; they were just part of big business' plan for mass production. To see how the American industry took advantage of workers for profit is disturbing. When the worker was unable to conform to the business mindset, he was described as having a nervous breakdown. More importantly, I can see how this concept is still a part of many organizations today. Although the factory concept is not as it was in the film clip, one wonders how other manufacturing organizations such as United Technologies and the banking industries treat their workers today.
As an educational leader I would hope that my role in working with teachers will eliminate Taylorism as children learn the advance stages of working in teams and using their higher order skills to avoid this machine concept in the future.
Carol A. Wright
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Absolutely! We cannot have this approach to education with the diverse populations that we serve. It isn't healthy, it isn't productive, and it isn't right. Though parts of the Chaplin film were actually humorous in its treatment of Taylorism, it is, as you stated, sad on another level. How could this have been considered an acceptable way to function?
Post a Comment